Sunday, June 12, 2011

Two More Vintage Button Projects


As I mentioned in the previous post, I had some button projects included under my byline in the book Busy with Buttons by Jill Gorski. I have the other two projects I made for the book on sale now in my Etsy shop. The altered antique cabinet card is something anyone can do--although I recommend NOT doing it with a family photo. (Those are precious and rare, and someday you might want to scan that image and share it with relatives who are doing genealogy.)

I used an old cabinet card I bought in a photo lot on eBay, unidentified except for the photography studio. This kind of project can use up old buttons, lace and other trims, ribbon, and even scrapbook papers. In other words, just about anything you might have in your stash. Combining vintage trims and embellishments with an antique photo gives it special authenticity and charm. Local antique malls probably have old cabinet photos for very reasonable prices.


Another item you may find for a dollar or two at antique malls and flea markets is the stereoview card. Stereoviews are the long cards with double photos that create a 3D effect when viewed through a stereoptican. Rare historical stereoviews can be pretty pricey, and even cards that picture desirable locations can cost more; but stereoviews that show generic scenes can be a bargain and offer some interesting inspiration for embellishments. The altered stereoview I created for Busy With Buttons and now have for sale on Etsy shows a wedding scene. Naturally, I chose lace snippets and elegant antique buttons to go with the theme. Your own creativity will suggest ways to embellish stereoview cards, which make interesting and attractive doorknob hangers when tied with lengths of ribbon. Just be sure the stereoview you choose to work with isn't valuable; you wouldn't want to discover later you glued buttons and paper scraps to a desirable collector's item.


No comments:

Post a Comment